Skip to main content

What comes to mind when you hear anything about slip-and-fall accidents? If you said care homes for the elderly, malls, walkways, parking lots, poorly-lit areas, etc., you’re right. In such situations, fall victims can sue a premises owner and seek compensation to cover medical bills and other related losses.

But, have you thought of what would happen if a slip-and-fall accident occurred on government property? Even though a government entity can still be held liable, you must meet specific requirements. It helps to have an aggressive personal injury lawyer handle your claim to ensure your rights are well-represented. Here are four steps to take following a slip-and-fall accident on government property.

1. Seek Immediate Medical Attention

For context, a government-owned property/building can be anything from the passport and immigration offices to the post office, the DMV, or an army base. In addition to treating your wounds, you need a doctor’s examination document detailing the extent of your slip-and-fall injuries. This will be primary evidence if you have a claim; without one, the opposing side may argue that you were not hurt.

The statutes for filing a slip-and-fall claim on government property are short. A claim can only be filed after the responsible federal entity has been notified of the injuries in writing. Moreover, the government limits how much slip-and-fall accident victims can recover from the state or a municipality should they win. A lawyer can give you a specific time frame for your claim, but it may be due within just a few months.

So, time is of the essence in such a case. You want to get medical attention and document your injuries when they are fresh for a fighting chance in a government property accident suit. It is the plaintiff’s burden to prove their injuries against the responsible negligent government property. Therefore, hiring a Kash Legal lawyer that’s well-versed in premises liability laws and works diligently to protect their client’s rights can help your case.

2. Report Your Slip-And-Fall Accident

Reporting the slip-and-fall accident is crucial if you decide to pursue a compensation claim. When writing a slip-and-fall accident report, you want to be as detailed and thorough as possible. The assistance of a slip-and-fall accident attorney can ensure you don’t miss any critical details.

A slip-and-fall accident report includes specific dates and times, a description of the accident, injuries, witness information, and anything else your lawyer deems necessary. Take photos of your injuries and the accident site containing the hazard. Where law enforcement was involved, request a copy of an accident report.

Based on the accident report facts, you also want to be able to explain the sequence of events following the incident. Doing so eliminates any doubt the government lawyer(s) or insurance company can use to discredit your claim.

3. Identify the Correct Government Entity

Next, determine whether a property is publicly or privately owned. You need to send a formal notice of your injuries to the at-fault government property. If you inadvertently dispatch your injury claim to the wrong government building, it may be excluded altogether.

For example, you fall in a federal government building’s parking lot. In your mind, the municipality owns the lot, and so you give notice to the city. What you may not know is that a binding contract exists between the city and federal government for use of the premises. This means the parking lot is under government ownership, not the city.

Your claim may be rejected if you give notice to the wrong government division, even if it’s within the statute of limitation. So, make calls, send emails, or contact the administrative offices of the relevant agency directly to determine the responsible entity.

4. Write a Formal Notice of Your Injuries to the Government

A victim of a slip-and-fall accident must provide specific information as a formal notice of their injuries. Omitting vital information or giving incorrect material could result in the denial of your claim and the consequent loss of your right to seek compensation at a later date. Before suing the state, a municipality, or federal government, you must file a formal notice of injury with the proper governmental entity containing the following particulars:

  • Your address and contact information
  • A detailed description of your injuries
  • Date and location of the slip-and-fall accident
  • A summary of how the accident happened and why you believe the government’s negligence caused your injury and is, therefore, at fault
  • An outline of the losses or financial costs you’ve incurred due to the accident, such as medical bills and lost revenue

The statute of limitations for a personal injury case on government property is much shorter, and you likely need to meet a notice requirement period no longer than 30 or 45 days. In addition to a shortened time in which you can file a lawsuit, you may also be restricted in the amount you can receive from your claim. Most government entities enforce caps on claims exceeding $100,000, even if you incurred medical costs greater than the capped amount.

These limits on damages vary depending on the government body you are suing. While victims can obtain compensation for specific claims such as medical bills, lost wages, and rehabilitation costs, the government is immune from pain and suffering damages. This is why you should contact an experienced slip-and-fall lawyer to fight for you.

Consult a California Slip-And-Fall Lawyer at Kash Legal Today

Now you know that there are different federal laws and detailed processes to establish liability for slip-and-fall accidents on government property. As such, you need a Kash Legal personal injury lawyer to do the heavy lifting as you focus on healing. A claim must be filed with the appropriate federal unit and done within the designated period, or you risk losing your rights to file.

In addition to the strict timelines, local, state, and federal governments impose extra prerequisites and procedural maneuvers that can limit one’s ability to receive compensation. If you took a fall in a federal building, you might pursue a claim if you meet the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) requirements. Contact us online or call (888) 527-4128 to help prove that a federal entity’s negligence caused your accident.

Get Your Free Case Consultation

We will be in touch within 24 hours.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Personal Injury Law Firm Who Cares

attention icon
Personal Attention
respected icon
Respected Lawyers
consultation icon
Risk - Free Consultation
gurantee icon
No Win, No Fee Guarantee
CALL US: 888-527-4128